One of my favorite things to do is
watch football. American style football
that is, not soccer. Enjoying football
requires understanding a vocabulary set pertinent to the game as well as
concepts relevant to the way in which the game is played or, the rules. The same can be said of all other sports as
well but my interest is in football and that is what I shall discuss.
My
interest in the game goes beyond a mere casual viewing of a match here or
there; I watch as much football as I possibly can. I am mainly concerned with the happenings of
the National Football League, the largest and most successful American Football
league, but my interest extends to college football, the Canadian Football
League, high school football, or any such meeting of two athletic clubs that
follows the general guidelines, rules, and procedures of an American Football
game. In years past I have taken in
games of now defunct leagues such as NFL Europe and the Arena Football League. Others have labeled my fascination with the sport
an obsession.
It
is hard to say exactly how I became so deeply interested in football. I have never played on an organized team; my
“on-field” experience is limited to pick-up games in parks and backyards. It should be noted that these experiences
seldom led to any kind of success for me as I am a horribly un-athletic
individual. Still, somehow, I became
fascinated with the game and performance in it at the highest level. Through all my years of football viewing, I
have developed a thorough literacy of the sport’s various aspects.
Anyone
can watch a football game but to get the most enjoyment from the experience it
helps to know the rules. Procedures vary
between leagues and organizations. For
instance, while a National Football League field measures 100 yards from one
end zone to the other, a Canadian Football League field measures 110 yards from
end zone to end zone. Canadian players
only have three attempts to gain ten yards before having to turn the ball over
to the opposing team and they play with twelve players on each side, differing
slightly from the NFL standard four attempts to gain ten yards and eleven
players a side. Minor differences also
exist between collegiate and NFL play, such as requiring a receiver to possess
the ball and touch two feet within the field of play to complete a
reception. Rules and procedures can be
complex, are nuanced, and at times open to interpretation by game
officials. Manuals exist that describe
league rules so one can become football literate through written texts,
however, most football literate people become so by actively participating in
the game or by vicarious viewing.
In
addition to knowing the rules of the game, a football viewer benefits from
being able to “read” the field or television screen. Knowing player positions and where they line
up on the field helps football enthusiasts and participants to be able to
communicate effectively and relay information to one another. It can also help if one is trying to decipher
a team’s intentions, their scheme, or tactics employed against their
opponent. Those who are accustomed to
viewing televised matches can read the screen and increasingly sophisticated
graphics provide information such as the point from which the offense tries to
advance the ball, the yard mark to which they must advance in order to gain a
new set of attempts, the score, player statistics, the game clock, the play
clock, number of time outs each team has, and more. These can all be useful in helping new
viewers to become “literate.”
There
is also a set of vocabulary unique to football that constitutes an explicit
literacy. These terms are most likely
available in a glossary but a more effective means by which to familiarize
oneself with them is to participate in or survey a game. In this way a person can better understand
terms as they encounter them in the context of the game as it is played.
Having
a firm understanding of the concepts, regulations, and vocabulary of American
Football, I am able to engage my friends and other football enthusiasts in
conversation regarding the game. I
relish opportunities to enlighten those ignorant of football in hopes that they
will become interested once they understand the game.
As a teacher I could have an
opportunity to coach or be involved in a football team if I work at a school
that fields a team. Otherwise my
interest in football could help me interact with students in a non-academic
manner as many young people enjoy football.
No comments:
Post a Comment